Thursday, October 28, 2010

What my trick is:

I got a text today from a friend who was asking for a workout program for a friend who weighs what I used too. And I decided, you know what. Why not tell people what I have actually been doing. Here is the story of my fitness journey:

Back in May, I attended a wedding in Florida. After reconnecting with some friends I hadnt seen in awhile, i came home and talked to one on Facebook, which I revealed to them that I basically wasnt happy with the way I looked, and all of that, and in the end, she basically said "well, what are you doing about it?!" A couple days later, I went and played pool with a co-worker. He asked me why I wasnt dating and I explained I wasnt really confident in certain aspects of what is involved when you start dating someone. And he basically said "Well, what are you doing about it?!" And, then, that was it.

I signed up at 24hr Fitness Downtown and met with my yes-man. Yes-woman, really. Ever since my second knee injury, I was told i wouldnt be able to ski again, or really be active in any real sport. They even said golf would be tough on my knee due to the jerking around. Sitting down with her, she said, that I would be able to run again, and maybe even ski by the winter, depending on how dedicated I was, and technically, I probably could be playing soccer right now, but I'll wait til next year. She told me what I should be eating, and we started in on a work out program.

I'll admit, after meeting with her, I went out and ate REALLY bad, I got one of those doughnut packs, ate it. Went home, made a nasty grilled cheese with extra cheese, ate it, had ice cream. I felt full and gross. The next day I started in on my diet that I followed VERY strictly for a good 3.5months or so. This is what those 3.5 months consisted of.

Breakfast:
2 Egg Whites
1 Egg Yolk
1 Med. Sized Banana
1/2 Cup Oatmeal with Cinnamon

Snack:
Omega Bar or
90 Cal. Kellogg's Bar or
Any Sports Bar under 200 Cals

Lunch:
1/2 Cup Brown Rice
3-4oz of Chicken

Snack:
Omega Bar or
90 Cal. Kellogg's Bar or
Any Sports Bar under 200 Cals

Dinner:
1/2 Cup Brown Rice
3-4oz Chicken
1/2 Cup Brocolli

Total: Roughly 1300 Calories

I later found out this calorie intake was actually pretty low, but I followed this diet religiously for 3.5 months. Once I found out I should ahve been eating more all along I started to follow a fairly strict regime but I am more focused on eating good, and calorie counting (To see my daily calorie intake: http://www.livestrong.com/profile/jalln546).

I would work out with my trainer 2x a week, on Tuesday and Sunday, and I did about 4 days of cardio, on my own. Never leaving without being drenched by sweat. The cardio routines I was assigned at first was:

Cardio #1:
Treadmill -
10 minutes @ 3.6 mph @ 4.0 incline
10 minutes @ 4.0 mph @ 6.0 incline
10 minutes @ 3.6 mph @ 10.0 incline

Cardio #2:
Stairmill -
10 minutes @ level 6
10 minutes @ level 8
Treadmill -
10 minutes @ 4.0 mph @ 8.0 incline

Cardio #3:
Combo
10 minutes bike - @ 90rpm @ level 9
10 minutes stairmill @ level 8
5 minutes rower @ 29 spm & 2:10 tempo

Cardio #4:
Arc Trainer -
10 minutes @ level 25 @ 100 spm
10 minutes @ level 35 @ 90 spm
10 minutes @ level 45 @ 85-90 spm

Anyway, it was fairly modest, but hard for me since it had been so long since I had worked out. My heart was a lil shocked at first, it eventually got used to it and I could handle more strenuous cardio assignments. The first time I ran on a treadmill I just about started crying. It was the 4th of July and my trainer had emailed me some strength routines because she was out of town, and at the end told me to be brave and try some running. Well, first time I did 5 minutes, and my knee started to talk, and then I did 11 minutes, and then, the next day I did 35 minutes! Given it was at a 12 minute mile pace, it was still a very joyous occassion for me! My knee talked to me the next day though, and strapped me to the chair and asked me what i did to it! But, I didnt really care. And after that I basically would do a 10 min warm up on the bike, Lvl 9 at 90+ RPMs, and then I would hit the Arc Trainer for 10 mins. The Arc Trainer is basically a longer stride elliptical, has absolutely no impact so it was a good way to warm up my muscles and then I would hit the treadmill and do a 10 min mile. I did that until I felt pretty confident I could increase the belt speed. And then eventually I started doing the Arc for 10 mins and then 20 min running. I currently have more cardio assignments that mix it up a bit more. I told my trainer that I was doing 30 mins of running and a lil over 3 miles, and so she sat down, pulled out a piece of paper, handed it to me while saying "I'm sorry, here." haha.

The key to success in losing weight is dedication, motivation, inspiration, and the knowledge that you CAN and you WILL acheive your goals. Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." And I really, really, believe that. You have to want the change though. For me, I was beyond ready for it, so while some people would miss the variations in food that you are used to enjoying, i found it easy because i would say "The way I'll look, the weight im losing, is better than the taste of that burger, or that slice of pizza". I even know people who dont like working out because it hurts. You know what I think? I love the hurt. It tells me I'm actually doing something about my weight and if I continue to hurt, or burn, the fat will continue to fall off me. I get obsessed with the burn. As Arnold said, the "pump". I push myself as hard as I can go on cardio, and tell my trainer when I need my ass kicked. Im not stupid though, if my knee is bothering me, I get off the treadmill and go do a low to no impact machine like the elliptical or the arc trainer. But I dont go home.

Now, the question you have to ask.

What are you willing to do to see the change you want?
What sacrifices are you willing to take?

And in the end, those things that seem like hell to give up? You wont even want them anymore. Yeah, I get cravings from time to time. But I always remind myself of what I really want, what is really important to me. And that craving runs away with its tail between its legs.

You have to make yourself impenetrable. You have to have strong resolve. And then? Then? You can do ANYTHING you set your mind too.

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment